Friday 29 July 2011

Getting pumped for Spring

I want to get into seed raising, with a view to be the local seedling supplier for maybe 4 other people...and then the world!! I have hooked up  system that collects washing water in a 24 gallon drum (filtered), and from there i am pumping (see pun in title) collected water into a greenhouse (which is really more of a cupboard). I put some holes in a garden hose that sprays randomly around the greenhouse, hopefully giving the seed trays a good sprinkling.

Today I planted some all season things like pak choy, spring onion, beans and lettuce, just to see if it works. In 2 weeks, if all goes well, I will begin spring planting in earnest.

I had an epiphany while pottering about that this blog might actually be more of a "Mistakes That Ignorant People Make In A Garden" type thing, but as long as I'm improving my green thumbs I am happy. So mistakes I discovered today are:
  • There is a lot of water run off in the greehouse that seems wasted. I am going to try and catch it in a channel type thing, and put a potted fruit tree next to it.
  • My worm bathtub doesn't drain enough. I should have put some wire mesh in the bottom that is raised slightly. I will get all the soggy matter out of there, chuck it in with the chooks to break down al naturale, and then start again with some sheep poo and grass clipppings from the park.
  • I don't have any compost to pot on to if the seedlings do come up ok, and not enough time to brew some up...no solutions yet...
In other news we have some baby peaches that are budding. In a few months time i am sure i will be competing for them with the possums.

Update: Half way up the green house cupboard i put an extra bit of plastic stuff, that slopes down to the side, and comes out on to a potted orange dwarf. So i have saved a little excess water, but still the bottom half of cupboard water to be saved...
Also, I filled in the rest of the tyres that surround the pond (i think i need a solar air filter thing for the pond...), so the bath tub is empty and ready for remodelling...next week...




No comments:

Post a Comment